There are a few apps I would like to share that I find incredibly useful on a daily bases and while setting up a new pc. All programs are free unless otherwise specified. I like free apps and many will have a donate button if you so choose to do so.
A very helpful program I use on every new install of Windows. As one might guess, it takes a preselected list of apps you pick on their website and installs them by itself. No dialog boxes to click, no fuss, just completely unattended. The pro-version may have more apps to choose from but the free one suits me just fine.
Below is a link to the page for all of my favorite choices.
One of my go-to apps on the desktop, if not using notepad++ or a webide like cloud9. It has a lot of features, way more than I’d ever need. I like it simply because it has a file tree on the right, multiple tabs, and some git functionality.
It’s a simple app but still quite useful. I use it on all my laptops (well there’s really only one laptop but I had one before the current one and I used the app on it too), it provides a better reading than the built in meter provided by the OS. It gives a percentage, eta to empty, power consumption, battery energy levels, a few other things.
A lovely program, it gives the ability to do some linux like tasks within windows without the need to virtualize an entire OS or a dedicated machine. It’s certainly no substitute but I like it for running things like ruby gems or python apps. Like, spinning up a local version of my website to test things. The installed package can hover around 1GB but can easily consume more but that shouldn’t be much of a problem for most people. ;)
Just a simple music player I like. It seems to be a bit more hackable than your commercial variety. :)
I’ll include my theme I use for ya: My Theme File
I’m sure many developers out there know, Notepad++ is a indispensable text editor. I prefer it over the plain ‘ol notepad any day and has lots of features to take advantage of.
- Syntax Highlighting and Syntax Folding
- User Defined Syntax Highlighting and Folding
- PCRE (Perl Compatible Regular Expression) Search/Replace
- GUI entirely customizable: minimalist, tab with close button, multi-line tab, vertical tab and vertical document list
- Document Map
- Auto-completion: Word completion, Function completion and Function parameters hint
- Multi-Document (Tab interface)
- WYSIWYG (Printing)
- Zoom in and zoom out
- Multi-Language environment supported
- Macro recording and playback
- Launch with different arguments ###### Features copied from Notepad++’s Website.